Rapid Prototyping of Diesel Fuel Filter Grommets for the Outdoor Recreational Equipment Industry
Pierce-Roberts Rubber Company was contracted to develop a prototype of this featured grommet, designed for use within the fuel filter of a diesel engine application. We relied on an Objet 3D printer to develop 8 different prototypes. Each prototype was then subjected to form and fit testing. During rapid prototyping, we held tolerances down to +/- .005 of an inch. The grommet prototype measured 1.244 inches in outside diameter, .725 of an inch in inside diameter, and .485 of an inch thick. The final component was manufactured from Buna.
Producing these prototypes helped our client eliminate the need to build more molds, and saved significant time and money. In addition, prototyping enabled faster turnaround time, and allowed the design to be finalized much more quickly. By working with our customer's supplied 3D Step File print and Buna-N Nitrile specifications, Pierce-Roberts successfully employed rapid prototyping to simplify the final product run. To learn more, please contact us.
Diesel Fuel Filter Grommets
- This Grommet is used within the fuel filter of a diesel engine application.
- Rapid Prototyping-3D Printing
- 8 Different Prototype Designs were Printed
- Objet 3D Printer
- 1.244" OD, .725" ID, .485" Thick
- Material was not important as these were for Form and Fit
- Testing & Evaluation
- Final Material is to be Buna
- Form & Fit Testing
- Eliminated the Needs to Build Molds
- Saves Time and Money
- Much Faster Turn Around Time
- Allows Design to be Finalized much Quicker
- Outdoor Recreational Equipment
- Windsor, CT
- 5 Days for 8 Various Designs
- Customer supplied print, 3D Step File
- Customer supplied Buna-N Nitrile specification
- Diesel Fuel Filter Grommet